Pages

Antique Crystal Whiskey Decanter Set

This elegant, 19th century Edwardian caddy of triplet crystal whiskey decanters, also known as a tantalus, is a mystery.

We've had it for years yet don't remember where we got it, don't know why we keep it and are puzzled about what to do with it. We never use or display it. We don't even drink whiskey.

I've never seen another anywhere but online, where they go for $3,000 - $7,000. (Ye gods, I know I didn't pay money for it.)

I'd put it on eBay, but at 18 pounds, it's too heavy - and yet too fragile - to ship. The crystal is perfect except for a chip on the outer neck of one (far left). The silver top, lock, handle and fittings polish up to a gorgeous gleam.


The lock works smoothly and has two keys. The wood is fine, aside from a few very slight nicks.

The stamp says Crown & Rose / Made in England.

Dimensions are 14 inches wide by 6 inches deep by 13 inches tall.

The only thing it's fit for is a Hollywood prop -- or a really expensive doorstop.

Ideas?

6 comments:

  1. Take it to Oregon Street Antigues for an appraisal and maybe consignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Start drinking whiskey, silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. I love crystal. I like Bruce's suggestion. :)

    ~~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've sent you an email in regards to this post. Hope to hear from you soon!

    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete