Pages

Well, This Is Embarrassing

Hellooo ... Anybody home? ... Hooty-hoot!

Wow, did someone foreclose this blog? So chilly and dusty in here. Cupboards are bare. Mother Hubbard and her dog apparently have fled. At least no one has trashed the place yet.

This is no good. If people are going to be so kind as to recommend this blog (thanks, one and alll), the least I can do is turn up the heat, open the curtains, fluff the cushions, bake some sugar cookies and write more frequently. (I could attempt to be sly and say I'm slow-blogging on purpose, but you know me better than that.)

You probably also know my house doesn't get much better treatment from me than my blog.

But this year I have a plan to systematically spring-clean starting from the first of the year, the theory being that one or two closet/bureau/drawer/cabinet/workbench projects a week will get us to the finish line painlessly. I have many lists and calendars.

Since the holidays I've cleaned one closet and repotted two houseplants. ... What? I had to make time for massages.

If you live in or near Redding, I recommend Greg Reimann at The Spa Downtown for the best deep-tissue work. He has been my first choice for almost seven years. Spectacular. I hear the massages are also great at the new Glow Skincare Boutique, but I haven't tried them yet. If you're in Albuquerque, try to get Margaret Nahaus or Louise Kutz. So many treats, so little time.

And I've been reading a lot. Recommendations:
  • "Too Much Happiness," stories by Alice Munro.
  • "Nocturnes," musical stories by Kazuo Ishiguro.
  • "Pygmy," weird/good novel by Chuck Palahniuk.
  • "Juliet, Naked," novel by Nick Hornby.
  • "When Things Fall Apart - Heart Advice for Difficult Times," Buddhist philosophy by Pema Chodron.
  • "Three Cups of Tea - One Man's Mission to Promote Peace One School at a Time," nonfiction by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin.
  • "Tinsel - A Search for America's Christmas Present," terrific creative nonfiction by Hank Stuever.
Oh, and I work sometimes. Write. Edit. Consult. Over at my other gig, we're looking for hard news reporters in far northern California, so if you have skills and can turn a breaking story on a dime, get in touch at kellyb.anewscafe@gmail.com.

Come back soon. We'll have cookies and tea.

7 comments:

  1. We do still check in on occasion. My most recent house cleaning was a rebuild of the home office/intertube web command central (rip and replace on the 'puter hard-drive. Apparently spring cleaning extends to files and those disc-y things that live under the desk. Who knew?
    -Jas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...foreclose this blog?" Yeah, I kinda resemble that with mine...thanks for the reminder about other sites being nice enough to post it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the book recommendations - glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly - thanks for the recommend - you're too kind. I'm in the phone book, Albuquerque.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see that you opened the blinds again so we can all see in (or out)!
    Thanks for the book recommendations--you know where they will be used. Did you know that Greg Mortenson has a new book out? It is "Stones into Schools" and continues the earlier saga. Did you know he says he can build 30-40 schools in Pakistan or Afganistan for $1,000,000.00, which is about what it costs to keep one soldier there for one year. And he is convinced that the way to bring democracy and peace to that part of the world is to educate the girls, who become educated women who educate their families. Interesting and fascinating man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really glad to see you here! I'd thought maybe blogging had gone the way of the standard typewriter. Quicker, easier, and less substance seems to be the trend. I prefer your deep thoughts . . . hey, remember the Deep Thoughts segments on SNL? Cracked me up!
    Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still not sure of what to make of "Pygmy." Would love to hear your thoughts on "Her Fearful Symmetry." Oh and you mush check out the new Eels Cd, as well as the new Ted Leo/Pharmacists CD.

    ReplyDelete