Pages

Lost

He is 20-something, dark, sharp-featured, slumped and exhausted-looking on the sidewalk in front of Walgreens. His eyes are closed. He doesn't move until I approach.

"Are you OK?" I ask.

His eyes open and he looks clearly and directly at me. He shakes his head. He is not begging. I see no belongings. He could have fallen from the sky. It is 100 degrees out here.

"What do you need?" I ask.

"I don't know."

"What's the matter?"

He sighs and says sorrowfully, "Everything just went so wrong so fast..."

"I'm sorry," I say.

"God bless you," he says softly, and closes his eyes.

When I come out of the store five minutes later, determined to do better, he is gone.

7 comments:

  1. You never know.

    An anonymous author once exhorted people to not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing, some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a haunting story. Much to think about. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did all you could do, which is more than 99% of the passersby would do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The short and sweet of the economy, maybe. Thanks for caring for that man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a powerful encounter, and so beautifully told.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life can get so crazy so quickly. You gave me a good reminder to keep my heart and mind open.

    Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete