Pages

Watch Your Language

Cousin Kathy writes:

I read your piece on led and lead. It made me remember something I cut out of the Lincoln County Newspaper many years ago about the idiosyncrasies of the English language. I thought you might get a kick out of it. The Lincoln County News cited the Carleton Messenger from Carleton, MI, as having printed the original. It reads:

A young student in a Nairobi school has this comment on lessons in the English language:

We'll start with a box - the plural is boxes.
But the plural of ox should never be oxes.
One fowl is a goose and the plural is geese.
But the plural of mouse should never be meese.
On the contrary, the plural of mouse is mice.
But never assume that for house the plural is hice.
As the plural of man is always men,
Why shouldn't the plural of pan be pen?
The plural for button is, of course, buttons.
Then shouldn't the plural of mutton be muttons?
The masculine pronouns are he, his and him.
But imagine the feminine - she, shis and shim!
So English, I fancy you all will agree,
Is the strangest language you ever did see.

2 comments:

  1. Cute,but too true!
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm learning Spanish and I am so confused. All these "exceptions' to the rules. Ayyy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete