Pages

Mama goes to see 'Iron Man'

Comic book superheroes -- not my major. I only know Superman, and that's because his day job was newspaper reporter.

Iron Man? Blank. Comics, cartoons, rock music, sci-fi technology? Still blank. I am Know-Nothing-Mom. Sorry-sorry-sorry. So I had little interest in seeing the movie. But what the heck, it's a cool, dark theater with popcorn and Cokes and giant Smarties. How bad could it be?

Got there, snagged great seats at center back (Prime 11 Cinemas in Anderson -- LOVE their barcaloungers). Made fun of the pre-movie advertising with my wingmen. Lights go down, movie comes up .... and ... and ...

Whoa! Starring Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark! Nobody told me! They should have said! Brilliant! Action!

"Iron Man" is spectacular. It has a great message, beautiful co-stars, just the right sexual tension for a PG-13 audience, minimal visible blood, a sense of humor, and lots of crashing, zooming and things blowing up. The music is good, and the special effects are perfect. Best of all, the movie celebrates brain power and doing the right thing. It's as fun and flawless a pic as I've seen in a long time. Even if it didn't feature the easy-on-the-eyes Downey. And whatever, Gwyneth Paltrow.

Go along on this one, mama. You'll have more fun than everybody else.

Showtimes

8 comments:

  1. Why are all the bad guys bald? I want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright -- I'm the mom who drops the kids off at the theater so she can enjoys two hours of peace and quiet.
    Now I'm heading out to enjoy some popcorn with real butter and Iron Man (?!) with a car full of boys...
    (If this posts more than once, I apologize. My computer is sputtering at me.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so if you ever meet my son, Jesse, you tell him that he owes you BIG TIME. I have been ignoring his plea to go see this movie, and when I get home today, THE ONLY reason I'm going to relent is because "KELLY BREWER said it was cool."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin and Susanne, you are rock star moms. Be sure to let us know how you liked it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uncle E, I wondered the same thing. What kind of warped message is that? Everybody knows bald is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 5 Thumbs Up from the crew that I brought.
    Great laughs, good story and it moves along with gusto.
    The popcorn (most important part) was also outstanding.
    And Kelly, my kids WISH I was a rock star mom. Then they could get rid of those T-shirts that say "My parents have a country band. Please adopt me."

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. -- And thanks for the recommendation -- I would not have imagined that movie would be fun for me if you hadn't posted your review. What a grand use of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find it comforting that while he was working, Tony was listening to Suicidal Tendencies, since I always create better with a punk soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete