Pages

High time for high tea. High hat? Let's see.

When last we visited about my hapless lack of a hat for the Saturday afternoon tea...

My high tea hostess arched her beautiful eyebrows and threw me a curve.

Can't find a tea hat, poor thing?, she inquired. However do you manage all day long on your own? Shall I bring you one of my many, many, fabulous hats, hmmm?

She tossed a gardening glove at my feet and spun on her figurative heel.

A high-handed challenge.

I'd show her.

She wanted hats.

I'd give her hats.

You have to know the secret password* for getting great hats.

Swordfish?



But that wasn't quite the right look I was going for.


I needed a hat that would show her
a Thing One or Thing Two.



Cat in hat?

"Look at me!
Look at me!
Look at me NOW!
It is fun to have fun
But you have to know how!"


Sigh... So true.
A high cat hat wouldn't do.

A high tea lady has to know when to be goofy and when to behave.

So:

Mini w/pearl

What you can't do with a hot glue gun, and a mini and a pearl, ¿que no?




Well, it was a delightful high tea.

That was the right hat to wear. One does like to play along.

Especially when one is surrounded by grown-ups.

Kelly and Lynn up to no good

With manners.

And style.

Castleton Lace

Our lovely table was set with hostess Pat's original wedding china (pattern, Castleton Lace) and was graced with roses, candles, silver and crystal. We enjoyed two kinds of tea, fresh mint, lemon slices, finger sandwiches, scones, jams, fruit kebabs and desserts, accented with a sip of bubbly.

Our hostesses, Suzanne and Pat

Pat and daughter Suzanne set a charming table.

And a fine example.


Flowers, crystal, gloves


Tea fit for a queen.

The queen wears a hat.


















When it was over, we reached for our checkbooks. It was a fund raiser, after all.


Susan's hat and Kelly


Renaissance Redding's 7th annual High Tea on May 17 raised money for public art in Downtown in memory of Kathy Jenkins, who died in 2007 at the age of 55. She was an energetic volunteer -- wearing many hats -- on behalf of countless cultural and civic improvement projects, among them Viva Downtown.

It's not too late to donate.

And it's never too late to get started on next year's hat.









































Thanks to hostess Suzanne for the teatime photos.

3 comments:

  1. OK, that was funny.

    Although. where I come from a "high tea" means something else entirely. I don't recall a hat being required. But then, I don't recall much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up with both the roses and the leftover scones. Score!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a hat person, let me say that your solution was a delight - characteristically playful and charming! Although, I think you might want to reconsider the first option for next year. Maybe worn like a French twist for a more subtle effect :)

    Tea looked and sounded fabulous!

    ReplyDelete