Pages

Zero to 90 in no time

It took less than four minutes to figure out how to surf wirelessly on my Eee PC. That's me, who doesn't know my LAN from my DSL. Oh, sure, I had a CrackBerry for a while, but an IT guy set it up and programmed everything and changed the spark plugs. All I did was drive it.

I was going to write a review yesterday, but I was deep in the heart of taxes, which I'd started weeks ago. Must finish, I said, grinding my teeth down to nubs, can play with toy after work is done. So. Is done.

While Steve conducted his seminar at the library Saturday, I sat in the back of the room and opened up this notebook computer, which is about the size of a self-help paperback. No instruction manual with me. I wanted to see how far I could get without it.

Didn't need it. From open to close, the screens are self-explanatory. Anyone who can follow instructions can easily figure this out. I've checked email on Yahoo! and Gmail, called up a few web pages and bookmarked them, played games, looked at my spreadsheets on Google documents, wrote emails, imported a picture and posted to my blog. Easy peasy.

The keyboard is small, and it takes a little while to get used to typing in a more contained space. I keep overreaching for the p and the right shift key, but other than that, not bad. Probably just a matter of practice.

The seminar students were excited to see such a small, lightweight PC. Lots of oohs and aahs, especially about the price ($350 for a 4-gig). It weighs about 2 pounds. I carry it in my purse. It does everything you want a computer to do. Comes with Windows-compatible Linux software, which feels seamless to me, a rookie at Linux. The games and Internet pages load very quickly.

Especially strong wi-fi signals are at the library and at Dejavu coffee shop downtown, the coffeehouse side with the fabulous lamps from California Decor. I'm sitting there (here) right this minute, enjoying peace and quiet and a robust Leopard coffee. Now with real leopard.

2 comments:

  1. But Kelly, you didn't mention the most important option on tiny lil 'puters these days: does it make smoothies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, smoothies that'll knock your bronchial tubes off.

    ReplyDelete