Pages

Movie Monday

"The Astronaut Farmer" -- recommend.

Billy Bob Thornton, Bruce Willis, Virginia Madsen. 2006, PG, 104 minutes.

A retired NASA astronaut (Thornton) has never given up his dream of space travel and looks to build his own rocket, despite the government's threats to stop him.

It's a sweet, hopeful, enjoyable, family friendly movie about a dreamer. Try not to overthink the realities. Good chemistry among the actors. Nice story.


"Two Days in Paris" -- can't recommend.

Julie Delpy, Adam Goldberg. 2007, R, 96 minutes.

A couple spends two days in Paris with the woman's parents and sister.

I really, really wanted to like this movie. If you like nonstop bickering, profanity and paranoia, you'll love this. But I didn't enjoy the relentless conflict and petty meannesses between the couple and among the family members.

I liked three things. The main characters were very clear and consistent, if whiny and self-centered. The lovely Delpy reminds me of my cousin Amanda. But that's only a perk for me. Goldberg had a handful of funny, well-timed, well-delivered lines.

Not enough.
_________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment